Thursday, July 16, 2020 |Register |Login | Search
    You are here:  GET INVOLVED / Ways to Give / IRA Gift

IRA charitable rollover gifts

If you are 70½ years old or older, you can take advantage of a simple way to benefit United Way of 1000 Lakes and receive tax benefits in return. You can give up to $100,000 from your IRA directly to a qualified charity such as ours without having to pay income taxes on the money.

This law no longer has an expiration date so you are free to make annual gifts to our organization this year and well into the future.

  • Your gift will be put to use today, allowing you to see the difference your donation is making.
  • You pay no income taxes on the gift. The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you benefit even if you do not itemize your deductions
  • If you have not yet taken your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year, your IRA charitable rollover gift can satisfy all or part of that requirement.

It is wise to consult with your tax professionals if you are contemplating a charitable gift under the extended law. 

Steps for Making a Charitable IRA Rollover Gift to United Way of 1000 Lakes

If you are contemplating IRA rollover gifts to United Way, simply use the sample letters below for each separate transaction. 

  • First: Download Administrators/Trustees sample letter and fill the required information in the bold bracket fields. Mail or fax to your IRA Administrator or Trustee. Your IRA Administrator or Trustee may ask you to complete its own charitable IRA rollover authorization form before processing your request. If so, promptly complete and return it. Especially if year-end is approaching.
  • Second: Download notification sample letter and fill the required information in the bold bracket fields. Call or mail United Way of 1000 Lakes your gift intention so we may be on the lookout for it and can promptly acknowledge the gift in writing.

Please feel free to contact Kimberly Brink Smith with questions, at (office) 218-999-7570 or email