posted on August 16, 2015 09:55
United Way of 1000 Lakes will kick off the Annual Fundraising Campaign with its annual Lumberjack Pancake Breakfast on Saturday, Sept. 12th on the Old Central School lawn. The celebration has expanded to include lots of Lumberjack fun for all ages, including some fun food-related competitions too.
Nearly a dozen teams are expected to register for the third annual Pancake Cook-off and Relay Races. There is no fee to participate and all ages and abilities are welcome. Get your friends and co-workers together and compete for one or both of the pancake titles.
As delicious as this is going to be, it’s also for a good cause as donations to the United Way are encouraged. Suggested Donation: $6 per adult, and $3 for those ages 6-12. One hundred percent of the proceeds from the breakfast benefit United Way of 1000 Lakes.
Enjoy a short stack of pancakes (children and adults alike are sure to love the toppings bar), sausage links, a yogurt, juice and/or coffee, as well as sample bite-size portions of the chefs’ creations. Need to eat and run? Pick-up and delivery options are available. To place an order visit www.unitedwayof1000lakes.org.
In between the competitions, take part in a variety of Lumberjack games and activities, including the pancake toss; lumberjack photo booth, gunny sack races and more. Grab a photo with the Forest History Center cooks, who will be sharing stories from their life on the Logging Camp.
The following is the schedule of events:
9 a.m. | Old Central School
Hero themed costume participants will race on the 3K and 5K courses. Costume contest and awards. Register on-line or on-site (8 a.m.). Proceeds benefit BabySteps, with a portion benefiting United Way.
9 a.m. | Old Central School
Cook-off teams will duel for the title of the finest flapjacks around. Costumes encouraged. This year’s Celebrity Judges — Peter Birkey, United Way Board of Directors; Sheriff Vic Williams; Kathy Annette, Blandin Foundation President; and Jeff Britten, Greenway High School Principal — will rate aroma, presentation, taste, density, and texture to determine the winners. Teams will offer guests bite size samples of their creations. Awards will be presented at 10:45 a.m. Proceeds benefit United Way.
KIWANIS PANCAKE BREAKFAST
9-11 a.m. | Old Central School
Enjoy a short stack of pancakes, toppings bar (everyone’s favorite), sausage links, yogurt and beverage. Proceeds benefit United Way.
PANCAKE RELAY RACE
10 a.m. | Old Central School
Relay teams of four will race while flipping flapjacks on the course around Old Central School. Costumes encouraged. Winners will receive bragging rights and a skillet trophy. Proceeds benefit United Way.
The event is sponsored by Forest History Center; Lefty’s Party Rental; Kiwanis; Paul Bunyan Communications; and Dales Auto Body. Their generosity ensures your annual contribution is directed toward solving the most pressing problems in our community.
How you can help:
- Showcase your talent! Recruit a team for the Pancake Cook-off and/or Relay Race. To sign-up, call 218-999-7570 or visit www.unitedwayof1000lakes.org!
- Wear Plaid with Purpose! Host a United Way Plaid Day at your workplace. Wear plaid to work on Friday, Sept. 11th for a donation to United Way! Call 218-999-7570 for more details or visit www.unitedwayof1000lakes.org.
- Roll up your sleeves! Help to make a difference in our community through volunteering. To learn about United Way’s current opportunities, call 218-999-7570 or visit www.unitedwayof1000lakes.org!
- Give to United Way! Help support year-round efforts. A tax-deductible donation can be made through a one-time or recurring gift of cash or check; credit card; payroll deduction; bill-me; and stocks. Call 218-999-7570 or visit www.unitedwayof1000lakes.org for more details.
- Run a Workplace Campaign! Does your workplace currently run a workplace campaign? You can give your gift conveniently through payroll system at work. Call 999-7570 to find out more.
- Start a Personal Fundraising Campaign! Let your family and friends know how much you support your community through United Way. Start a personal fundraising campaign to share your enthusiasm and ask others to join the cause. Call 999-7570 to find out more.
- Sponsor this event! Learn how businesses can partner with United Way through the sponsorship program. Call 999-7570 to find out more.
The United Way of 1000 Lakes is working to improve lives and strengthen communities across the Itasca area! Through the Impact Fund, United Way intervenes at critical transition points in people’s lives to pave the way for more high school graduates by supporting children and youth from cradle to career, empowering working adults to earn more and save more by building foundations of financial stability, creating healthier communities by promoting healthy, active lifestyles and ensuring our neighbors meet their most basic needs of food, shelter and safety. For more information, visit www.unitedwayof1000lakes.org.